Job Searching? Be Open-Minded.
When searching for a job, the best advice we can offer is to be open-minded. Easier said than done, I know, but you can be flexible while still being intentional in your search. Here’s how:
- Prioritize what’s important. Priority Lists are going to look different for each job seeker. Start with the basics. What do you value most? Is it financial compensation? Do you prefer salary or commission? How important is office flexibility? Do you prefer to work from the office, from home or a hybrid situation? Is it company culture? Maybe it’s benefits and insurance. Or perhaps you want to move from a small firm to a large corporation. Rank these job elements to better refine your search.
- Consider relocation. Many job seekers limit their search because they do not want to leave their current locale or uproot their families. However, if you are willing to move, there may be more opportunity—and possibly a new location with better cost of living and quality of life.
- Investigate company culture. Consider what you value in a company’s culture. Do you want an environment that promotes employee collaboration or independent work? Maybe a company’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion practices are important to you. How about dress code? Do you want a social environment with lots of company activities or a more corporate atmosphere?
- Try something new. Skill sets can often transfer across industries. People skills, tech savviness, project management, analytical thinking and financial acumen are all skills that transfer across multiple disciplines in the commercial real estate industry. Brainstorm how your skill set could be applied to a new career.
- Rethink the job description. There is no perfect job description. If a job really grabs your attention but you find that you match some, but not all, of the skills in the job description, we’d still recommend you go for it. Often, if a company likes what you bring to the able, they will modify a job description or find an alternate opening for you.
Don’t be afraid to think outside the box as you embark on a job search. Spend some time jotting down your thoughts related to the above recommendations so you can navigate your job search with intention and purpose.
Poline Search Partners is ready to assist you. Please check out our Insights & Resources or connect with us.